Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We can't keep doing this all year...
In a recent thread, Essex Johnson compared this team to the 2012 team. I compared it to the 2009 team. Both for similar reasons, which included our focus on running the football.

Well there's one big difference I noticed.

In 2009, our backup RBs (Bernard Scott, Larry Johnson and Brian Leonard) combined for 147 carries (9.2 per game). This kept us focused on running, but also kept us from killing CedBen. These RBs were also successful, rushing for 609 yards on 4.1 ypc, which was right behind CedBen's 4.2.

In 2012, we weren't quite as balanced, but still gave our backups (Peerman, Scott and Leonard) 77 carries, or 4.8 per game. This group was also very successful, rushing for 399 yards on 5.4 a pop.

This year?

We've had a grand total of 6 carries (all Perine) to backup RBs, or 2 per game. Mixon has 67 carries, which puts him on pace for 380 carries for a full season. This just isn't sustainable.

So the way I see it, things are going to play out one of three ways:

1) We maintain this pace and Mixon gets worn down and/or injured during this 17 game schedule.

2) We gradually start passing more...which I guess makes sense, but I kinda like the run focus we have right now.

Or

3) We start rotating our backs a little more.

Obviously, I'm a fan of option #3. It seems like this team has often been reluctant to use our backup RBs, instead looking at one guy as the "bellcow" and not really using the others.

I get that Mixon is paid the big bucks. You give him the lion's share of carries...but you also want to keep him healthy and fresh, while maintaining the balanced offense we've seen thus far, (which is working quite well, btw).

To do this, we need to see the other guys rotate in way more.

Thoughts?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
We can't keep doing this all year... - Shake n Blake - 09-29-2021, 05:15 PM