Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We can't keep doing this all year...
(09-29-2021, 05:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i dont think the 2 backups we have now have earned that trust to be out there more yet. Although at one point one of the coaches said mixon should play every snap

But your right cant overuse mixon and keep him fresh all season especially with an extra game.

3 is the best move if we had another back you could trust like a gio.......

We signed Larry Johnson off the street in 2009 and he got carries right away.

If these guys have been around this long and still haven't earned enough trust to get 5-6 carries, then we should look elsewhere. Now. This is kinda important, IMO.

Tbh, I think the Bengals operating this way for so long has convinced a lot of people that backup RBs should be afterthoughts. But if you look around the league, most teams feed their backups a little more than we typically do.

(09-29-2021, 05:25 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think (and hope) the plan is to open up the passing more once Joe gets settled in. How many games it will take, that I do not know.

I think last week was a big mile stone game for him, so maybe look for them to open it up a bit more this week and more and more going forward.

I think its pretty huge that we get out to an early lead and squash them on Thursday, so look for Joe to be throwing early (hopefully).

The fact is, is that you just can't consistently win games against good teams in the NFL passing 20 times a game. We will start to play teams with high powered offenses and we will need to score to keep up.

We're at 25 attempts/game, which is about what Baltimore averaged last year
. That said, I agree we'll need to open it up *some*. I personally hope we don't swing too far in the opposite direction.

We don't need to be throwing 40 times like last year. That's a proven formula for losing, especially in this division.

Right now, we're around a 55/45 split favoring passing. Even if we move to 60/40 or a pinch higher, I think we still need more out of our backups, or Mixon is going to end up hurt.

I think he's proven how important he (and just running in general) is to winning.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We can't keep doing this all year... - Shake n Blake - 09-29-2021, 05:56 PM