Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Joe Burrow and his Russell Wilson impression
(12-16-2021, 02:06 PM)Housh Wrote: I wish someone that knows football way more than me would discuss this but i swear we see way too many free rushers for Joe to be doing audibles at the line. Does he not have the green light to do so or is that part of his game that isn’t mentally there yet? To me there should never be a fee rusher

I won't pretend to be an NFL guru.  I played o-line for a small (2A now 3A) hs in ky that won state a couple times.  So, I feel like I have some football IQ, but I'm by no means a pro or did I do it at high levels.  From what I've seen, its not that he wouldn't have the green light, and its not a mental thing for Burrow.  If I had to guess, he has more faith in himself to make a tough throw than to hope communication holds up on the line and everyone does their job. 

Generally speaking, I would say its a blown protection if a defender comes free through the middle of the line, and good protection if the free runner is from the edge (simplified of course, exceptions apply)

One example of this was when Burrow was calling the "You can't zero me!" and the linebacker blew him up through the A gap.
Hopefully with a better line, and a bit of time, Burrow won't feel the need to take those hits and rely solely on his arm in those situations.

EDIT: To expand on this further, this post is assuming its Burrow's responsibility to change the protection. In some systems, one of the lineman, typically the center, is responsible for line adjustments and up front audibles. So it may be the case of Cincy not having good adjustments from the line itself.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow and his Russell Wilson impression - CardCounterChris - 12-16-2021, 02:32 PM