Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP cares more about NRA than closing 'terrorist loophole'
(11-21-2015, 05:27 PM)6andcounting Wrote: The people on this list are "known terrorists"? I don't think you know what "known" or "terrorist" means. Unless you are just not familiar with how an individual makes it onto this list. If the latter is the case, read up on this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/25/terrorist-watch-list_n_5617599.html

"Using these criteria, government officials have secretly characterized an unknown number of individuals as threats or potential threats to national security. In 2013 alone, 468,749 watch-list nominations were submitted to the National Counterterrorism Center. It rejected only 1 percent of the recommendations."

"The secretive nature of the terror watch lists has come under court scrutiny recently. A federal judge ruled in June that the government must develop a new process under which individuals can challenge their inclusion on the no-fly list. The judge found the current process "wholly ineffective.""

I am familiar with the current court challenges to this as well as the No-fly List.

But are you claiming that none of the people on these lists are working with terrorists?  That seems pretty naive to me.  

So it all come down to balancing interests.  I agree that the people on these lists should have more efficient ways to challenge their inclusion, but the problem is that the source of much of this information is classified for national security reasons.

Only a small percentage of the people on these lists are US citizens.  I say don't let them buy guns.  Give them a means to challenge their inclusion on the list, mbut don't be stupid enough to act like Americans are being stripped of their freedoms for no reason at all.  You know I am not into fear mongering, but I am not into just doing away with all means of protecting us from the threat of terrorists activity. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: GOP cares more about NRA than closing 'terrorist loophole' - fredtoast - 11-21-2015, 05:51 PM