Poll: Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day?
(01-19-2022, 01:43 PM)BengalRed Wrote: It isn't just the longevity, it's the number of playoffs. A few of them were out of his control, a fumble by Hill, a meltdown by Burfict and Pacman, fumbles by Andy and Gio, a playoff game in which playmakers were out with injury. Plus he had to deal with Mike Brown's stubbornness over taking on players who were always in trouble, and his refusal to spend money on free agents. I think he will get in but not anytime soon. People tend to forget the bad stuff over time. I just hope it isn't posthumous.

Lots of excuses here. Any time you lose, it's easy to find some valid looking excuses.

In the end, he had 7 (!) cracks at it and couldn't get it done.

(01-19-2022, 02:49 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Different angle for looking at Lewis' career that might sway my "No" vote for Marvin for a "maybe or Yes" argument:

- Only 28 more NFL head coaches have won more career games than him.
- Only 43 coaches have won 100+ career games as a head coach; this includes Lewis.
- Among the coaches with 100+ wins other names who hover around the .500, average W/L mark are Dan Reeves (.535), Chuck Knox (.558), Jeff Fisher (.512), Tom Coughlin (.531), Mike Shanahan (.552), John Fox (.520), John Gruden (.511), and Norv Tuenr (.483).

Another "No" reason: Only 16 NFL coaches have lost more games than Marvin Lewis.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

Most of those guys (all?) have Super Bowls on their resumes though.

(01-19-2022, 03:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: See, this is where I run into issues. I would love to see Sam in the ring, but if Marvin is a definite no...then I don't see how Sam gets in. He only had 3 winning seasons in 8 years and a losing record overall. Forrest may be the most qualified (having a winning record and a SB appearance) but was only here 4 years...so I'm not sure you could put him in either.

Hell, even Paul didn't get in for his coaching with the Bengals, but for his overall impact on the game and bringing pro football to Cincinnati. 

The strike year hurt Sam's overall record. He was playing with scabs and didn't even bother installing his sugar huddle or most of his offense.

Take away that year and he was over .500 (57-55 with a Super Bowl and several playoff wins on his resume. That's worthy.

I don't see anyone else as worthy other than Paul Brown, and that's simply because he's the founder.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day? - Shake n Blake - 01-19-2022, 04:51 PM