Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dolphins wanted Burrow really, really bad…
(02-02-2022, 12:53 AM)Benton Wrote: I don't think we did. We just had a lot of not good players at the time. I mean, think about all the pieces we added that offseason, that draft and the following offseason and draft. A big chunk of those starters aren't on the team... and not because we got outbid to keep them.

I think we really were just that bad.

And even the moves we made where it looked like maybe we were trying to tank (benching Andy) weren't all that bad of ideas at the time.

Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion on whether we tanked or not. I'm just open to the possibility. We really didn't add a ton that first offseason (the season that netted us Burrow). BW Webb? Who else?

AJ Green got hurt and we didn't attempt to fill that hole at all. Instead we let Auden Tate, Alex Erickson and John Ross be featured to the tune of 214 total targets (no wonder Dalton had his career worst year). Started Ryan Finley even though it was obvious he wasn't cut out...and I'm sure coaches knew it by that point.

We had a defense still loaded with holdovers from the previous era. I'm sure we knew they weren't fits for Lou, but what could we do?

So it'd make sense if they just said "look, this thing is going to take a couple years at least. The first year is a throwaway with a great draft pick being the benefit".

By the time we played the Dolphins, they had 3 wins. We had one. There was no risk in beating them. Same with our last win. Burrow was locked up, and we win in week 17.

I don't know if the coaches were involved, but maybe they were. Tbh, I'm happy if it was a tank job. Look where we're at.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dolphins wanted Burrow really, really bad… - Shake n Blake - 02-02-2022, 01:28 AM