Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
There are only like two players left from the Marvin Lewis era...
(02-03-2022, 02:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tyler Boyd and Sam Hubbard (I think).

That is really freaking hard from me to believe - that this roster was completely scrubbed in like three years. It was completely gutted from the coaching staff to the players on the field.

I know it helps to basically luck into the drafting of Burrow #1 overall - that will completely accelerate a rebuild...but man, could this rebuild have went ANY better? Just complete hits on the draft, free agency, and a lot of key positions on the team that matter.

Yes there were some misses and they could add pieces this off-season to REALLY solidify this team, but I think a major storyline that doesn't get talk about enough is just how efficient this rebuild was and how this roster was completely flipped.

Mixon, Uzomah, Boyd, Hubbard, Hopkins, Phillips, Tate, Huber, Harris all were here with Marvin.

But you did hit on something worth pointing out - the draft.
Specifically, the early rounds of the draft.
Bengals have done rather well in Taylor's 3 drafts within the first 3 rounds.

What always kinda frustrated me with Marvin's drafts were there always seemed to be so many players who they whiffed on in Rds 1-3.

2017 - Whiffed on Ross and Willis
2015 - Complete whiff Rds 1-3
2014 - Whiff on Clarke, arguably Dennard
2013 - Whiff on Hunt
2012 - Whiff on Still and Thompson
2011 - Whiff on Moch
2009 - Whiff on Coffman

In quite a few of those drafts, the 4th rounder helped compensate for the whiff(s) earlier, but still not good to whiff that frequently in years you are trying to climb past the 1-and-done plateau.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: There are only like two players left from the Marvin Lewis era... - ochocincos - 02-03-2022, 03:12 PM