Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
There are only like two players left from the Marvin Lewis era...
(02-03-2022, 05:56 PM)tms Wrote: I'm one who believes we give waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit (and blame) to coaches for their drafts.

Here's Zach's 2019:

1 - Jonah Williams, OT
2 - Drew Sample, TE
3 - Germaine Pratt, LB
4 - Ryan Finley, QB
4 - Renell Wren, DT
4 - Michael Jordan, OL
6 - Trayveon Williams, RB
6 - Deshaun Davis, LB
6 - Rodney Anderson, RB
7 - Jordan Brown, DB

4 of the 9 are gone. Wren is basically PS fodder and Trayveon doesn't see the field. Which leaves Jonah, Sample and Pratt. To his credit Pratt has emerged recently but he was never a game-breaker before. Sample's seen as one of the worst second-round picks in history. Jonah is... well... he's the kind of LT around whom three years into his career we still wonder whether he's even playing the right position. Best case, he's a serviceable blindside protector who stays in his lane. Worst case, he's the leader (by default) of a line that tops the league in sacks allowed.

I don't mean to lay it all at the feet of Zac. Quite the opposite. I think the common thread around all these guys who have surprisingly begun to contribute is... wait for it... JOE BURROW. It's not rocket science. When you have a legit franchise quarterback all your players look better. Likewise, all your coaches look better. All your drafts look like you have the secret sauce. In reality a lot of it comes down to pure luck. Heck, I remember reading around here that Zac was partial to Penei Sewell in the war room, but got overruled. So can you even give him credit for Ja'Marr Chase?!

The greatest draft expert for this team is Burrow. Just like it was Brady in New England, Peyton in Indianapolis and on down the line. Not to take anything away from Palmer or Dalton, but Marvin Lewis never had that luxury.

I agree 100% with everything you wrote. ZT nailed the obvious Burrow and Chase picks, but beyond that he has been mediocre at best. This team was mainly built through FA over the past couple seasons. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: There are only like two players left from the Marvin Lewis era... - WeezyBengal - 02-03-2022, 06:10 PM