Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turkey shooting down Russian planes
(11-25-2015, 01:18 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Assuming we were in Turkish airspace it gets more complicated. Did we knowingly ignore their wishes that we not fly in their airspace? If so, isn't that on us? Though, I highly doubt they would shoot down an ally for doing that. I also have to question why we were even in their airspace. Either way, I would probably want the US to demand an apology from Turkey for their actions. It's unacceptable that they would take that kind of action. Even if we mistakenly flew in their airspace, in good faith they should know their strongest ally is not trying to act as an aggressor against them. 

They were warned for several minutes they were in or approaching Turkish air space. They ignored it.

Quote:The Russian plane was dealt with because it "did not answer our warning," Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Tuesday.

ISIS isn't present at that border area, but Turkmen were there, Erdogan said. Anyone who bombs that area attacks "our brothers and sisters -- Turkmen," Erdogan said in Ankara. Turkmen are a Turkic-speaking, traditionally nomadic people who live primarily in Central Asia, but a small minority of them can be found in the Middle East, primarily in northern Iraq, Iran and Turkey.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/24/middleeast/warplane-crashes-near-syria-turkey-border/

This would be akin to Russia being at war with Canada and bombing Eskimos in Alaska just in case. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Turkey shooting down Russian planes - Benton - 11-25-2015, 01:34 AM