Anyone who works with Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless
8.70%
2 8.70%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN's Arthur Ashe Courage Award and the dropped ball
(06-04-2015, 11:00 AM)jason Wrote: Why exactly couldn't Jenner have done what she did in secrecy?  She's only in the limelight for the last few years because she chose to be.  Hell he could have even married into that goofy family, and recused himself from that show.  Cameras and media aren't following Dorothy Hamill around.  I remember seeing Johnny Rotten in an interview discussing Kurt Cobain's suicide.  He said something along the lines of... If Kurt was so sick of being a star and the pressure that goes with it, all he had to do was stop being one.

Hamill is a good reference - same era and yes off the radar at present. However, were she to transition I have a funny feeling it would not be in anonymity whether she wanted it to be or not. I grant you I can't prove the point and have no first hand experience but I doubt you can prove/have first hand experience either.

As far as Johnny Rotten's comment goes, I think he was being naive about Cobain. Or maybe he thinks he quit being a star but I think the world quit him and his band, which is a bit different. Of course we all tell ourselves what we believe to be the truth. So maybe Johnny thinks he walked away and tells himself that.

And maybe Cobain was ill equipped to deal with celebrity or navigate out of it, but I think even if that is true Rotten's comments sound kind of dickish. I mean, questioning the victim of a suicide is not taking the high road if you ask me...

I honestly hope the news copters and vans and paparazzi never show up on your street, but if they do I think it might give you a different perspective on how easy it is to avoid them even if they are down the block at the neighbors. It doesn't look fun or easy to avoid to me.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ESPN's Arthur Ashe Courage Award and the dropped ball - xxlt - 06-05-2015, 09:15 AM