Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Welcome to the jungle Daxton Hill!
On the Franchise Tag. I am not sure, but I'm guessing the Players Union has built in that a team can not Franchise Tag a player and ruin his chance to test the Free Agent waters, and then come back and pull the tag. That would be very unfair to players, and I would think the Players Union have it so it can't happen. That once you Franchise Tag a player for one more year at top salary, that is it. It would be very unfair to players ready to go free agent to get held back by their team and later let go. So on Bates, I kind of think Bengals have to honor the Franchise Tag they slapped on him to keep him from being a Free Agent.

Bengals and Tobin on Bengals.com said weeks ago that there was a good chance they would use Pick 31 on Depth and The Future. Maybe Depth to a player who may not be here in 2023.

So the best player on the board was a Safety, Bates is only signed for 2022. Tobin had said Depth and The Future.

I don't think Bates is going anywhere in 2022. Bengals probably have to honor the Franchise Tag. I would think that would be an NFL Players Union Rule. However Bates on Bengals in 2023 is very much in question, and why grabbing a Safety that ESPN had going at 18 and Bengals getting at 31 is indeed Tobin and Bengals taking best player on board and adding Depth and The Future.

If Bates is not on Bengals in 2023, then Bengals just solved that problem in 2022. It opens up who Bengals take in 2023 Draft. IF Bates and his agent want Bates signed as the highest paid Safety in the NFL, that could be a problem. I'm not sure Bates is THE BEST Safety in the NFL. The Bengals and Bates agent have not been able to work out a long term deal in over a year. Bates has said he wants to be one of the highest paid Safeties in the NFL. Bates on Bengals in 2023 is very much in question.

Unless Bates refuses to play for Bengals, I see Bates and this Round 1 Safety on the same Bengals team in 2022.

The idea that they can't have both on the team in 2022 doesn't hold water. Tobin already said good chance pick 31 would be for Depth and Future. Tobin is looking past 2022 on this pick. Bengals want to go back to Super Bowl, so I'm sure they want Bates and this Top Pick on Bengals in 2022.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Players Union allows pulling the Franchise Tag as an option. That would cheat players out of the early weeks of Free Agency and would be very unfair to players.

As a Bengals Fan, I think having both on the team helps Bengals odds of getting back to Super Bowl in 2022 season. I'm not paying them, so heck yes, I want both on the team in 2022. Also top NFL Quarterbacks can eat a rookie safety alive all game long, faking him out of his shoes. So I like having the Super Bowl Safeties and bringing the Top Pick Rookie along, but not hung out there to get beaten all game by these top notch NFL Quarterbacks who attack rookies without mercy.

GO BENGALS

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Welcome to the jungle Daxton Hill! - kevin - 04-29-2022, 03:24 AM
RE: Welcome to the jungle Daxton Hill! - IcoHolic - 04-29-2022, 04:17 PM