Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy
(05-04-2022, 05:24 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It was also her choice to have unprotected sex
Abortions should not be used as birth control, not when there is other ways to prevent it.

Isn't that the whole idea behind Sex ED?

(05-04-2022, 05:26 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was just defining what the phrase "her body, her choice" means since Brad apparently thought it meant the baby's body was the exact same thing as the woman's body.

But I'll still respond, I'm committed now :). Here's the counter argument to that:

It's true that it is, generally, her choice to have unprotected sex and that is what led to the pregnancy, but this leaves a LOT of context out.

Neither birth control nor condoms have a 100% effective rate, so it's not even guaranteed that the pregnancy was a result of unprotected sex.

In addition, there are some rather massive problems with sexual education in this country, especially in more conservative areas. There's a fairly good chance that there are people who don't even know about condoms or birth control (or whose parents, church or other societal structure does not allow or pressures them not to use them) or perhaps don't have the means to obtain them. But those people will still have sex because, you know, hormones...

And that's not even mentioning rape, incest, pressured/non-consensual sex (and by that, I mean, sex that you can't "prove" is rape but...you know...is rape).

It doesn't help that these issues disproportionately affect poor and less educated people (which, in turn, perpetuates poverty and lack of education if they are forced or pressured into being teenage/poor mothers).

I think a big problem with the argument that, since it is her choice to have sex she must bear the consequences of her actions, is that society and our legal system does not hold the man equally responsible. He does not have to go through any physical changes as part of this child's birth. Hell, he doesn't even have to be there. He definitely doesn't have to raise the child, both legally or socially, as the mother is often given 100% of the blame for any unintended pregnancies. And, sure, she can pursue him for child care but that's a legal battle that takes time and money and, even if she wins, he could always be late on payments, he could move, or he may even just attempt to disappear into the system and avoid the payments. The police could arrest/fine him if they find him, but we have a funding problem with the police too, so who knows how much effort they'd put towards that while you (the mother) are struggling to pay for and raise this child that you didn't want alone.

We're laying far too much at the feet of mothers whose only "sin" is having sex, whether consensual or not (and I disagree even with that notion that having unprotected sex should lead to such upheaval in her life). 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - Dill - 12-04-2021, 02:37 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 12-07-2021, 11:51 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-03-2022, 11:58 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 09:19 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 05:22 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 12:31 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 12:19 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 02:50 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 03:02 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 05:12 PM