Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy
(05-05-2022, 09:22 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What is their main rules and regulation of the private companies?

also why would it be a big increase in taxes, all we'd really be doing is shifting what we pay now in premiums to "healthcare tax".

And that per capita, what is all included on it? got a link?
I've never studied Germany's Healthcare system, so that'd be some new reading.

Why would what, exactly, be a big increase in taxes? 

Here is a very recent link on per capita spending from Statista. 
https://www.statista.com/statistics/236541/per-capita-health-expenditure-by-country/
Finder also has these stats, plus more, e.g. a graph aligning health care expenditures with GDP.
https://www.finder.com/healthcare-costs-by-country

My figures were a bit dated. Now the U.S. pays almost 11,000 per capita while Germany is 6, 518--so a bit more than half now.

I mentioned what I think are the most important rules--people cannot be rejected for prior conditions. And I should add that 
they don't make you pick and choose coverage, like coverage for appendicitis but not gall bladder.  Also the payout limits are 
extraordinarily high. 30 years ago, co ops only capped them at 1.5 million. I can't say much more about the private companies
there, as I never used one. I know people with the private, as opposed to co op insurance, get more perks, like private rooms
in hospitals. Their system is changing though, and my friends there complain it is becoming "Americanized"--their term for neo
liberal innovations. E.g., when I lived there, kids got medicine for free. Now they must pay for it as do adults. If that continues for 20
years, costs could rise to U.S. levels as quality drops. 

Before one gets into the amount of tax paid vs the amount paid in private premiums, one needs to remember that 
the SAME COVERAGE and virtually the same quality and access of care COSTs LESS in Germany because so much of the nickel
and diming that goes with selective coverage and the enormous amounts of paperwork we have here are mostly absent
there. In co ops the for-profit motive is gone (or was last time I checked), so their boards are not beholden to stockholders who need
to see quarterly profits, which can be had by excluding the already sick and routinely challenging claims.  So German insurance is much more bang for the buck. 

Also, there are a lot of things about U.S. healthcare I don't understand or know about. E.g, hospitals and drug companies, not just insurance companies, extract profits from us, looks like through absence of competition before the consumer but high competition with each other.  (I know from past discussions there are people in this forums who can speak to this with much greater competence than I, as they have worked in these industries.) I believe that to some degree, hospitals can't turn away emergency room patients, even if they don't have insurance, and so must spread the costs among paying customers. That's why people complain when charged $100 for aspirin after a hospital stay.

I've heard great things about other 1st world countries as well. A Japanese friend, who was studying nursing here and working in U.S. hospitals went back to Japan to have her baby, because her experience here convinced her Japanese health care was better and more efficient. 

She likes America MUCH better than sexist Japan--just didn't want to take chances with her baby. I also recall that $1,000 cat scan here was only $125 there, about 15 years ago.  Bet Arturo will be happy to bring France into comparison.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - Dill - 12-04-2021, 02:37 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 12-07-2021, 11:51 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-03-2022, 11:58 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 09:19 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 05:22 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 12:31 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 12:19 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 02:50 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 03:02 PM