Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Players are turning on Zac finally
(10-10-2022, 02:40 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I think the frustration comes from a place of Bengals fans knowing this offense could and should be better.

Yes, we are losing some close games and therefor are definitely highly competitive. We are still very much in the race.

Yet the offense has the talent to get at least a field goal on every drive or every drive and a half (and yet we see stretches where the play-calling and execution is terrible). Good OCs maximize the talent at their disposal and find ways to attack the defense's weaknesses. We aren't doing that. We're running a very predictable game plan. At key moments we are coming up with some key drives to keep games close. But too many drives stall before they get started by a couple predictable play calls.

It's an easy fix, they just need to learn (and they're a little slow at this). Zac has a great mindset and is great at motivating the players and assembling a talented team. The jury is still out whether he can develop into an offensive guru/great play caller. So far he's failed to fully utilize the talent at his disposal. Just look at the offense's numbers in the playoffs. Pedestrian, with Joe coming up big late in games. The defense carries this team.

There are coaches that put their players in a great position to succeed with their gameplanning/play calling, and there are those that fail more often then not. Zac is right in the middle kinda like the Andy Dalton spectrum when he was a starter. Just barely good enough to win maybe 65% of the time. Zac has a ways to go to be a top 20 head coach in this league.

Fans are correct to be concerned whether the playcalling and coaching is going to be 'good enough' to win it all. It's common knowledge that when a team rests on talent alone, they fail. Need some brains in the coaching staff to bring out the most of the players.

Good post. In all fairness you're playing teams with pretty damn good defenses in the playoffs and with a below average OL nobody is going to look good. To what extent ZT relies on Callahan I really don't know and if you or anybody else does I'd seriously like to know this.

I'm sure ZT overides and makes the final call but to save face, ZT can still be the play caller but allow far more influence from BC. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Players are turning on Zac finally - Tony - 10-10-2022, 01:33 PM
RE: Players are turning on Zac finally - higgy100 - 10-10-2022, 03:06 PM