Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hispanic Woman Cannot Join Congressional Hispanic Caucus
(10-28-2022, 06:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Do you disagree with any of that?  Also, please do respond to every point, not just the ones you feel you can score petty internet points on as you are wont to do.  My thanks in advance and enjoy your weekend.

Since this post seems to address all readers, I want to jot down two notes regarding the injunction to "respond to every point." 

1. Often I construct deductive arguments; if one can secure assent to the premises, the conclusion should necessarily follow. 
Undermining one premise should tank the whole argument. That should be enough. The same can be true of inductive/abductive arguments, if they are tight enough. So I read arguments as a structure, targeting the weak points. 

2. At the other end of the spectrum, posts here don't always offer arguments. Even when they do, sometimes the kernel argument is not more than a single premise supporting multiple conclusions, with a lot of bald (i.e., unsupported) assertions thrown in for good measure, along with wholly unnecessary comments about the other posters' character and ability. Encountering such scattershot, anyone who felt obligated to answer every "point" could be easily diverted from the original issue, or away from other weak points in the argument. I.e., he could be "played." 

Better, I think, to just continue reading arguments as arguments, looking for logical weakness and weak or no evidence. Addressing weak points should be quite enough, along with eschewing personal attack.   
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hispanic Woman Cannot Join Congressional Hispanic Caucus - Dill - 10-31-2022, 01:43 AM