Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Case Scenario/Bright Side of Injury
First, I apologize in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm not here much so I certainly could have missed it. But I think this could serve as a decent talking point. And, as everyone knows, I'm a "look on the bright side" kind of guy. Ninja

I think this injury could end up being a very good thing. Here's why:

1.) If McCarron plays relatively well, say somewhat similar to his performance on Sunday, I believe he'll carry some trade value heading into the offseason. This is obviously a positive.

I've/we've seen it plenty of times before. A younger QB comes in relief of an injured vet, who isn't going anywhere once he's healthy, and the younger guy is shipped off while his trade value is inflated due to a small sample size.

Ex: Matt Schaub, Matt Flynn, Matt Cassell (hey, look at all these Matt's), and Kevin Kolb are all recent examples. There were rumblings that Kirk Cousins and Mike Glennon were possible trade bait this past offseason. And I'm sure there's a ton of guys I'm forgetting. And theres' other guys like Farvre who were shipped on talent level alone.

So if this guy closes the year with somewhere around a 80-90 rating I guarantee you there will be teams out there that will be willing to give a decent amount for him. 2nd or 3rd straight up type of compensation. A late first and McCarron to the top of the round type of compensation. etc.

2.) He's gaining valuable experience. Experience you can only gain by actually playing in meaningful games and situations. One of my biggest fears/gripes these last few years has been what I perceive as the lack of importance placed on our backup QB.

When we had a guy like Josh Johnson you knew if anything happened that there is no way we compete if he plays an extended period. Same with Jordan Palmer, Dan Levefour, etc. Bruce Gradkowski was the only competent backup that I thought we had after Fitz.

It's nice knowing that the guy behind Andy has now seen some real time. It would be even nicer if he proves himself to at least be not terrible. You never what can happen. Tie game in the AFC Championship, 1 quarter left and Andy exits with a concussion. How much does it suck that your whole season and all that work is wasted when a guy like Josh Johnson comes in? Yeah, it's a problem for a lot of teams. But I'll feel a lot better with someone a tad better.

So, in conclusion, and because I ramble: Upped trade value and invaluable experience are definitely positives. The opportunity for both is there. Not to mention, if anything else it makes for some added entertainment seeing the new kid play some snaps.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Best Case Scenario/Bright Side of Injury - Wes Mantooth - 12-15-2015, 01:04 AM