Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what now when it comes to the TE room?
(03-23-2023, 12:28 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, for the record.

1) We started last year with 3 TEs on the 53. It rose to 4 later on.
2) Asiasi is under contract. He is perfectly fine as TE3 or TE4.
3) Wilcox is still out there. Heisoerfectly fine as TE3 or TE4.
4) Drew Sample is still out there. He is perfectly fine as TE3/TE4, and maybe even TE2.
5) Cethan Carter is available and is finexas TE3/TE4.

We will not try to sign a TE1 in FA. We will draft one on Day 1 or Day 2 of the draft. I couod see an additional pick on Day 3 as TE2. Or possibly a FA like Irv Smith. IDK if we keep 3 or 4, but I think the mix will be:

1) TE1: High Draft pick Rd1-Rd3: Mayer, Kincaid,,Washington, Mysgrave,,Kraft, LaPorta.
2) TE2: Sample + possible FA (Irv Smith) + possible Day 3 pick (Schoonmaker, Kuntz, Whyle, Allen, Latu, Durham, Mallory).
3) TE3: Asiasi, Sample, Wilcox, Carter + Smith.
4) TE4: Asiasi, Sample, Wilcox, Carter.

I'd imagine we either wait until after the draft or sign 1 more TE to a vet min level deal with no dead cap (Ford deal) and then see how the draft goes. Carter, Wilcox, & Sample level guys will likely still be there after the draft.

It's good to note that there are many stable TE3 types that can at least help block if pressed for TE2 work for a few games.  I also agree that ideal TE1 guys are not available via FA.  

They need to take advantage of what is available.  It's been said that Irv Smith Jr. could bet on himself as a showcase TE. He would see the writing on the wall that Cincy could go TE as early as the 1st, but he still has a(n injury prone) leg up as a vet.  They could still double dip at TE, with Asiasi being TE4.  

That opens the door to another convo.  If they end up with more move type TEs or big slot types, at what point do you finally consider snaps outside for Boyd?  I get that his bread and butter is in the spot, but rather than be so loyal to ST types mailing it in outside, you have better talent inside including the slot type guys behind Boyd.  Even if they draft a WR, the learning curve can be higher. So, TE looks bare at the moment but we could actually still stack enough NFL ready talent to make it a strength.  Even if Burrow likes 4 wide sets, a few of those wides could be spit out TEs. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - phil413 - 03-23-2023, 12:47 PM