Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what now when it comes to the TE room?
(03-23-2023, 12:47 PM)phil413 Wrote: It's good to note that there are many stable TE3 types that can at least help block if pressed for TE2 work for a few games.  I also agree that ideal TE1 guys are not available via FA.  

They need to take advantage of what is available.  It's been said that Irv Smith Jr. could bet on himself as a showcase TE. He would see the writing on the wall that Cincy could go TE as early as the 1st, but he still has a(n injury prone) leg up as a vet.  They could still double dip at TE, with Asiasi being TE4.  

That opens the door to another convo.  If they end up with more move type TEs or big slot types, at what point do you finally consider snaps outside for Boyd?  I get that his bread and butter is in the spot, but rather than be so loyal to ST types mailing it in outside, you have better talent inside including the slot type guys behind Boyd.  Even if they draft a WR, the learning curve can be higher. So, TE looks bare at the moment but we could actually still stack enough NFL ready talent to make it a strength.  Even if Burrow likes 4 wide sets, a few of those wides could be spit out TEs. 

Not many agree with me, but I think upgrading our WR depth is important. I firmly believe we win the Chief's game if Boyd does not get hurt. After that, they swarmed Chase & Higgins and no one else could consistently get open. 

Now, adding a legit 4th weapon on offense does not necessarily have to be a WR. An early TE (Mayer, Kincaid, etc) fills that role. As would Bijan Robinson. If JSN or Flowers is there at #28, I'd strongly consider it. But I think it unlikely. 

Even if we go TE early, I'd still like a day 3 WR. Whether it is a slot/Taylor upgrade (Charlie Jones, Parker Washington), a good blocker who can actually get open/Morgan upgrade (Ronnie Bell) or some deep speed in any form outside of Chase (Mingo, Iosivas, Ford-Wheaton). 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: So what now when it comes to the TE room? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-23-2023, 01:58 PM