Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Welcome to the Jungle: Myles Murphy
(04-28-2023, 09:19 AM)SouthernStripes Wrote: Hilarious

Exactly. Getting pressure on the QB was a clear need as the lack of it was on full display in the AFC Title game vs. a hobbled Mahomes. There were multiple plays where pressure on him would have changed the outcome. 

Murphy was a projected top 5 pick before the season started! 
Most mocks had him going before 20th.
He then had an average season in 2022 after an impressive 2021. I think an important piece of context is the Clemson DC Brent Venables leaving for the Oklahoma HC spot. I think just about every defensive prospect from Clemson had a disappointing 2022 compared to 2021. Murphy might have had a breakout season and been a top 5 pick if that change didn't occur; so Bengals might have a major steal on their hands.
I'd like to point out that he also took Todd Bates with him, one of the top DL coaches in CFB, along with Miguel Chavis who is an edge coach as well. It was a trifecta hit from a coaching standpoint. Very well could have been a reason for the fall off. A scheme change and relearning a lot could have impacted ability to truly focus on technique. It's certainly something to consider.
He finished 2nd in the ACC in sacks btw. 

FWIW 
Ourlads Scouting Services- (former NFL scouts) had Murphy rated as the 6th best player overall.
Will Anderson 9.88
CJ Stroud 9.78
Bryce Young 9.72
Jalen Carter 9.61
Anthony Richardson 9.60
Myles Murphy 9.58

I don't about y'all, but I'm tired of watching the likes of Mahomes, etc having all day back there to pick us apart. This pick addresses a clear need. We've been pretty stout vs. the run. This will only improve our atrocious pass rush which will help our secondary.

And to those saying this guy will be #3 or 4 DE....are you aware we use a rotational pass rush? Do you remember how gassed Trey was in a lot of games? As stated by Lou, he WILL be in the mix. And with Marion Hobby(Clemson DL connection), he will get the most out of Myles Murphy. 

In Lou We Trust!
Tiger

Excellent point..... I'd kinda forgotten that in the grand scheme of things.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Welcome to the Jungle: Myles Murphy - jj22 - 04-28-2023, 12:34 AM
RE: Welcome to the Jungle: Myles Murphy - IcoHolic - 04-28-2023, 03:11 AM
RE: Welcome to the Jungle: Myles Murphy - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-28-2023, 10:34 AM