Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong?
(05-09-2023, 11:51 AM)Dill Wrote: Well, sometimes they do. 
https://northcountrypublicradio.org/news/npr/1161664788/the-women-behind-the-montgomery-bus-boycott

It's just that in this case the basis for the boycott is not actual harm, but faux RWM-stoked outrage.

That kind of boycott won't last, even till the net faux outrage.  

Boycotts when something actually unethical or unjust happened do work on occasion.

But even then, unless they're incredibly targeted and well motivated/sponsored, they can still fail with regularity.

Even when a boycott is justified, like with the whole child labor issues surrounding chocolate, I think a lot of people have embraced the "There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" approach because if we refused to purchase items from companies or corporations that mistreat their workers or otherwise exploited people to produce their goods we'd be left with...nothing? Could we buy anything at that point?

It's just the nature of Capitalism that, in order to maximize profits and drive costs down to their bare minimum, someone is likely being abused or exploited. The corporations are just hoping that, by doing it in mostly poor and *ahem*..."underdeveloped" countries, they hope that the average consumer either doesn't hear about it, or doesn't care once they do.

Social Media boycotts like this Budweiser one only look more absurd in comparison when you look at all the other truly unethical practices occurring, which do not get the attention they deserve.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - CJD - 05-09-2023, 12:29 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-08-2023, 07:08 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-09-2023, 11:50 AM