Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong?
(06-09-2023, 11:29 AM)Dill Wrote: Probably everyone can agree that the liberal MSM are harder on illiberal causes/actions than liberal ones. If a group of parents, incited by Fox/Newsmax disinformation, disrupts a school board meeting to get CRT out of the curriculum and stop drag shows in grade schools, the liberal media will be less "fair" than Fox or Newsmax, which incited the parents in the first place. I think it rather likely that "leftists" have a much greater "free speech" risk on college campuses, and the threat goes all the way to hiring and firing. 

That said, it still seems to me that we hear a lot more in the MSM about right wing speakers being "silenced" than about left wing professors losing their jobs because the right wing speakers cancelled are usually the same group of provocateurs--including Ben Shapiro, Ann Coulter, and Milo Yiannapoulus--think of the latter's infamous "Dangerous ****** Tour." https://medium.com/informed-and-engaged/campus-speech-protests-dont-only-target-conservatives-though-they-frequently-target-the-same-few-bda3105ad347  So that's more an effect of deliberate trolling than substantive evidence that free speech is under siege on college campuses now more than it was in the 80s or 90s. What we do see is that minorities and others previously without voices finally have some say. 

As far as actual, ideologically motivated violence goes, there was an interesting study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences last year. I'm quoting a few paragraphs from the conclusion of the study, which does not present itself as definitive but working in an area in which there is still too little data for comfortable conclusions.
Dill, you often give far too much information to be easily digested, or countered.  While I welcome the information, if it comes in such large dumps it makes responding to specific points very difficult.  The flaw with your source, which I did read, is that it takes into account extremism in all facets of public life.  It also appears to link right wing and Islamic extremism as close analogs, which I don't think is appropriate.  Yes, if we take right wing extremism as a whole then it is more violent.  One mass shooting, like the incident in Buffalo, can hugely skew such numbers.  But if we're talking about lower level violence on college campuses, which was the thrust of the post you responded to, this type of violence is not germane to the topic being discussed.  Your inclusion of right versus left wing violence as a whole only muddies the waters when the topic is violence at college campuses.
Try this simple test, go on YouTube and search for left wing college protest, then do the same for right wing.  Tell me what you find and if there's any difference.  YouTube is far from a right wing platform btw.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-09-2023, 12:03 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-08-2023, 07:08 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-09-2023, 11:50 AM