Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong?
(06-09-2023, 12:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dill, you often give far too much information to be easily digested, or countered.  While I welcome the information, if it comes in such large dumps it makes responding to specific points very difficult.  The flaw with your source, which I did read, is that it takes into account extremism in all facets of public life.  It also appears to link right wing and Islamic extremism as close analogs, which I don't think is appropriate.  Yes, if we take right wing extremism as a whole then it is more violent.  One mass shooting, like the incident in Buffalo, can hugely skew such numbers.  But if we're talking about lower level violence on college campuses, which was the thrust of the post you responded to, this type of violence is not germane to the topic being discussed.  Your inclusion of right versus left wing violence as a whole only muddies the waters when the topic is violence at college campuses.
Try this simple test, go on YouTube and search for left wing college protest, then do the same for right wing.  Tell me what you find and if there's any difference.  YouTube is far from a right wing platform btw.

Thanks for the feedback. There were two links in that which could have been separated into two posts.

Both had the common intent of shifting right vs left contrasts onto a more solid, if incomplete, grounding in data.

The first link, derived from the Free Speech project at Georgetown U., directly addressed the "silencing" of college speakers, sometimes by violence and threats. My goal in presenting it was to encourage caution regarding MSM coverage of "cancel culture" and the like. They spend more time with sensational cases, so that is a motivation to create sensational cases. The resulting coverage then skews people's perceptions. 20-30 incidents a year on 10 campuses doesn't seem like much when you remember there are 4,000+ institutions of higher ed in the U.S. 

The second link was to address the logic of right/left comparison at a more general level, which expands assessments of violence beyond college campuses, but doesn't exclude them. The study's hypothesis reached back into previous work on right/left violence to emphasize features imminent to each side's worldview that account for one being more violence prone than the other.  

I think Islamic terrorism was included as a separate element because they wanted to avoid forcing them into the American (North and South) and European political spectrum, but they needed to include them because the study was also global in nature.

I tried your suggested Youtube experiment. I found that the "left" search and the "right" search often called up the same videos. My hesitancy about using Youtube to assess quantity is that there is no reason to suppose the number of videos breaking one way or the other corresponds to anything other than the intensity of organization of one side as opposed to the other. This is why it is important that states and the federal gov. compile data on political violence, against which we can check our impressions of the magnitude of a perceived threat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Dill - 06-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-08-2023, 07:08 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-09-2023, 11:50 AM