Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong?
(06-14-2023, 11:59 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No, I haven't shifted at all as they go hand in hand.  To put a finer point on it, not all the protests involve physical violence, but all the violence occurred during a protest.  As for suppression of speech, the same logic applies, just at a much higher rate of occurrence.  I'll take your word in regard to mentioning the "demons" conversation, but I'll reiterate, it's not germane to this particular topic.  Who is "worse" than the other in a general sense is irrelevant to a discussion of college campus protests.

And once again it's not germane to a discussion about college campus protest.  If you want to have a separate conversation about that then feel free to do so outside the context of this particular back and forth.  I think you would agree that staying on topic is important to a clear exchange of ideas and information.

No, in that post I was not confining my statements to college campuses.  So, no, that wasn't changing the subject.  As stated above I'm happy to have the conversation as well, just not in the context of discussing speech suppression and violence on college campuses.

And you continue to change the subject.  A
gain, if you want to have that discussion do so outside the exchange on college campus protests.  Alternatively, you could admit the rather obvious fact that in this regard, and on this topic, the left is far more censorious and violent than the right.  Doing so would not hurt an argument about this topic in other facets and it would allow us to move on to those other topics you're clearly keen on shifting the conversation to.

A few days late, but here goes:

In a dialogue, no one unilaterally decides who is changing the subject; that's why they call it a DIAlogue and not a MONOlogue.

My only goal in this discussion has been to address the question of speech suppression on campuses, because that is connected to and important to understanding the larger disorder which afflicts the republic at the moment. It is part and parcel of that. That's why I keep "shifting the conversation" by addressing YOUR COMMENTS about attacks on free speech, e.g. post # 159 "We are discussing the suppression of speech and violence on college campuses." 

But whenever I address your points, you say I am changing the subject. Which you insist is now just college "protests," except when you are making your "ultimate point" about "extreme bullshit on both sides" that no one will acknowledge, or about Glendale.  So far as I can tell, you are the only person here who wants a number count of campus protests, apparently to find some sector of the American universe in which "the left" is "more censorious and violent than the right." That's a point with no point if it is not connected to larger issues.  Like claiming gays are more violent than straight people then insisting we only examine one venue--gay bars--because there one finds more bar fights started by gay men. Any discussion of the larger society's violence against gays would then be "veering off topic" with the appearance of avoiding an "uncomfortable truth" about gay violence.  

So yes, let's "move on to those other topics" to which I keep shifting the conversation by addressing claims from your posts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Dill - 06-18-2023, 11:18 AM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-08-2023, 07:08 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-09-2023, 11:50 AM