Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong?
(06-14-2023, 11:59 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quote:Finally, you've not avoided the Youtube problem by searching for protests on what you call "far left" news sites. That's not how you construct a data set on free speech suppression or protests or whatever, especially in the age of news algorithms.

Oh, are we conducting a peer reviewed study here, or are we bantering on an internet message board?  If I was publishing you'd have a rock solid argument.  As I am not, you do not.  You made an argument that sensationalist stories make the news while less exciting content does not.  You did so to justify the lack of news coverage around conservative college protests.  I countered that, if any news site would cover right wing protests for click bait it would be the far left organizations.  A search of a large number of those organizations revealed precisely one instance compared to numerous left wing protests.  So, while this wouldn't suffice for a rigid academic study it is more than sufficient to illustrate a point on an internet message board.  But please feel free to find the myriad other news articles about right wing college protests that you apparently believe exist somewhere, I would very much like to see them.

Um, no. The alternatives are not just "bantering" or "rigid academic study."  In any case, bantering or not, I take the topic seriously and want my statements about it to be accurate.

Plugging ill-defined terms like "left" and "protest" into different news search engines with different search algorithms--one can do better than that even on a message board.  That's why I supplied a link to people serious about data collection.  Here is an additional one entitled "Scholars under Fire" from the F.I.R.E. website, which has an interactive map of marking challenges to professors' free speech since 2015. It also records a number of cases of suppression of student speech, supplying documentary evidence as well. https://www.thefire.org/research-learn/mapping-scholars-under-fire. Plus they have a case archive which includes high school.

You seem aware that news trends focus on the sensational, but you should also be aware that "the sensational" can be produced simply by announcing a "F****t" speaking tour and such like, or training teams of students how to "weaponize" their phones for Youtube and RW news sites looking for dirt on professors. So if RW provocoteurs are manufacturing free speech outrage for their own purposes, how do you factor that into a count of "protests"? Does a bean count of protests tell us something more about RW politics on campus or "left" wing--even if there are more "left" protests? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Dill - 06-21-2023, 02:36 AM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-08-2023, 07:08 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-09-2023, 11:50 AM