Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Time to move on from Frank Pollack
(10-10-2023, 04:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually they are not buzzwords. Power Gap, Wide Zone and Inside Zone are all schemes. Each encompasses many plays. And these schemes favor different types of linemen. Zone schemes emphasize quick and fast linemen to get out and flow the play to the sideline. Power emphasizes exactly what the name suggests - strong linemen who leverage well are more important than speed here.

Since our OL room is full of the type of linemen Power Gap schemes favor, it is only reasonable to ask if a coach has experience with that type of scheme. One can make a case right now that a lot of the troubles on the line (in the run game) are us trying to have them run wide zone concepts they are not physically suited for. Pass blocking they are already doing pretty well, with the main issue seeming to be picking up stunts by C-LG.

I 100% agree with what you are saying, Joe.

I think, personally, Taylor/Callahan wants to run a type of running scheme that does not cater to the OL's strengths.

Pollack brought in big dudes who are not overly athletic on the move (at least IMO).
They are more bulldozer type of guys you would expect on like the Ravens that will drive block their guy off the line to create vertical movement.
I think we saw this in 2021 or 2022 when they started moving away from wide zone as much because the OL just couldn't execute it well.

Here's an (overly elaborate) explanation of the different blocking schemes for those who care - https://www.milehighreport.com/22451001/difference-between-zone-and-gap-scheme

A good quote to generalize the biggest differences:
Quote:First and foremost is how the concepts work philosophically. Zone runs work around the idea that the back will be like water, finding a hole where the defense isn’t. Gap runs have a hole in mind before the ball is snapped and depends on the offense imposing their design upon the defense.

The second difference is how each scheme creates leverage on a defender. Zone asks the blockers to step in unison and work in tandem to overtake and wall off defenders while each lineman runs along their track. Gap asks lineman to block down the line of scrimmage from their initial starting spot and away from the hole, as this creates an advantage from the jump.

I don't think the Bengals have good enough RBs to find a hole where the defense isn't. I think they would do much better going to a certain predetermined spot and relying on the OL winning their assignments to force that hole to open.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to move on from Frank Pollack - ochocincos - 10-10-2023, 05:23 PM