Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Florida has a measles outbreak.
(02-22-2024, 09:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I would guess the demonization of vaccines in general, which has resulted in more people passing on routine vaccinations.

Facebook mom medical advice?

(02-22-2024, 09:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2024/02/20/measles-continues-spread-in-broward-county-with-sixth-case-heres-how-to-protect-yourself-from-the-highly-contagious-virus/

It’s unclear whether all six children with measles were unvaccinated for the disease that was once thought to be eradicated in the United States. The first reported case last Thursday was a third-grade student at the elementary school. About 11% of the Manatee Bay students — roughly 117 students —  are unvaccinated, using a medical or religious exemption from the mandatory vaccine requirements.

Thank you very much.  So if we're looking at 11% we're well within the herd immunity zone, which is in the 70-90% range, depending on the disease. If even 3-4% of those unvaccinated are for medical reasons, i.e. not crazy Facebook mom reasons, then you're very comfortably within the herd immunity range.  Another interesting question would be how a disease previously eradicated in the US managed to creep its way back in.

I ask these questions because there's very likely more, and better, reasons for this happening than GOP politician is stupid.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Florida has a measles outbreak. - GMDino - 02-22-2024, 03:06 PM
RE: Florida has a measles outbreak. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-22-2024, 09:47 PM