Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller
(03-29-2024, 12:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I wanted to give this post some real thought before responding, because it is a rarity here.  A sincere response to a position and a desire for constructive discussion.  Yes, I do think Trump pardoning the rioters would be an attack on the rule of law.  At the same time, I think some of the charges and sentences for some of, please note some of, the participants was extremely over the top.  I've seen literal murderers get far gentler treatment.  I completely agree that 01/06 was a horrific event, but the Dem response to it has been over the top and really helps fuel the martyr narrative.  Are the harsh sentences a necessary deterrent for anyone thinking about engaging in these types of actions in the future?  Maybe, but that flies completely in the face of the Democratic parties position on the criminal justice system, especially the past four years.  People note the inconsistency.

Oh, I completely agree that the response has been over the top. I think there is an appropriate amount of seriousness with which we need to look at what happened that day, but there is a line at which it becomes heavy-handed. Criminal justice would not be one of the things you and I agree on most likely because it is one of my more progressive areas, and I say without hesitation that unless a person involved in that incident took part in, incited, and/or planned violent actions, there should not be prison time; fines only. Those that broke in, took part in property destruction, etc., there is no need for imprisonment. The Capitol is a place that belongs to us all, and restitution should be made for theft and destruction, but that's it.

All of that being said, federal prosecutors are not generally known for having a progressive attitude towards these sorts of things no matter what administration is in place.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller - Belsnickel - 03-29-2024, 01:24 PM