Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller
(03-30-2024, 07:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Biden has no authority over state or local officials. Absolutely none. I don't expect Trump, Biden, or any other POTUS to step on those toes because it isn't their place. Our federalist system is set up the way it is for a reason. Biden has a long voting record where you can see his position on law enforcement, including his signing the bill mentioned in the link I shared a couple posts above. He has been pushing for efforts to increase resources for community law enforcement since at least 2022, but has ben blocked by a Republican House. When it comes to things he has control over he has been much more in line with your positions than you realize. He has tried to walk the line of improving police accountability in an effort to appease the more progressive contingent, but I haven't seen him propose anything too radical.

As for him calling out state and local officials, well, it is political. Him putting this thumb on the scale when it comes to those things is not something looked kindly upon. It would create division in the party and, again, it is not something he is really in charge of. Political parties aren't ideological groups, they are there for electioneering. Biden doesn't demand loyalty among the party and the party doesn't fall in line with him on everything. I just do not understand the need for him to step outside of the bounds of his authority.

We're kind of repeating the some points to each other at this point.  I understand what you're saying, I disagree to the extent he could actually have some say or influence on things.  If I'm POTUS and there is an element of my party engaged in conduct I find reprehensible I damned sure am calling it out, consistently.  Biden doesn't.  I've never heard it, not once.  Consequently, he gets to own it.  Dems being ripped on at LEO funerals is nothing new, because them being soft on crime is nothing new.  DeBlasio got it, I've seen it in person here in LA.  Has it happened to a GOP politician?  Not that I can recall, which of course doesn't mean it's never happened.  But it happens all the time with Dems.  So either distance yourself from that or be a part of it.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-30-2024, 07:15 PM