Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller
(03-31-2024, 04:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The problem with what you propose is that it would be unconstitutional. The federal government does not have the constitutional authority to make such a law. I definitely think that there is a real need to think about who we put in positions, though. I seriously had someone approach me about running for sheriff in my county, which I told them was a stupid idea. There are roles out there that do not have requirements that really should. How many judges sit on benches around the U.S. that had never been a trial attorney before? This is a big problem in multiple areas of our criminal justice system, to be quite honest. I don't see us doing anything similar in other fields, but we're more than willing to put people in charge of this stuff who have zero real-world experience.

You are probably, sadly, correct.  It is both a strength and a weakness of our system that states can have large areas of autonomy in which to subvert the system, in either direction.  What you could absolutely do is make a law for US Attorney appointees.  A lifelong defense attorney has absolutely zero business being appointed as a prosecutor.  Their entire career was built in opposition to that.

Quote:Depends on the individual. I know a few that walk around with a chip on their shoulder because of the academic environment. But then some of them are just shitty people. That's how the world works.

Of course.  I can only speak from my personal experience that those people exhibited the behavioral traits I named.  As for that is how the world works, you reminded me of this.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-31-2024, 05:45 PM