Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing
(04-25-2024, 04:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is so much more nuance to this than most people are really grasping. What is frustrating to me is that these university administrators are being called to Washington and not in good faith. The Columbia president quite literally did what the GOP wanted her to be doing and they are still calling for her resignation. I have heard so many conflicting stories when the student journalists on these campuses are telling what they have seen, which is more in depth and layered than what we see in the national media.

I don't think the Columbia president has handled this well.  She's vacillated on when the protests need to stop, and how, several times.  I agree that she was not invited to Congress in good faith, but that doesn't change her failure to address student safety.  As for the student journalists, I have seen actual footage that rather casts substantial doubt on these protests being peaceful or non-confrontational.  They have to go to classes with the people they're reporting on and there have been several Jewish students who have detailed harassment or being made to feel unsafe.

But no one needs to take my word for it, the university has conceded it's not safe by making classes available online for the remainder of the school year.  Why would they do that if these are safe, peaceful protests?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/us/columbia-university-remote-classes-protests.html

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-25-2024, 06:34 PM