Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ancient Greeks’ Guide to Rejecting Propaganda and Disinformation
(04-30-2024, 07:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t remember that book. We had to take three required philosophies and one elective. I remember metaphysics, but not the other two required ones. They also dropped theology requirements equally.

And yes it’s kind of shocking a Jesuit University is moving away from a classic education, but it’s probably necessary. College is now seen 100% as a way to get a better job, and something like philosophy seems like a waste of time. And who can blame people for that at these prices? A lot of classes that were once considered necessary for a well rounded education are now looked at as a luxury.   Hell my dad was surprised I only had to have four philosophy credits.

That's unfortunate, since philosophy majors are preferred over pre-law students by law schools (according to the chair of our local Poly-Sci department).  Which makes sense as they spend all day reading arguments closely. And most people think you can make money in law.

That college is now viewed a higher vocational training is not a good thing--or at least from the perspective that values democracy with citizen participation.

From the business side, that is not necessarily what is valued. People who can solve problems set for them, without asking questions about who does the "setting," for whom and why and to what ends, are much to be preferred.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ancient Greeks’ Guide to Rejecting Propaganda and Disinformation - Dill - 05-01-2024, 07:02 PM