Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing
(05-07-2024, 07:45 PM)Dill Wrote: A lot of people share your feelings on this I'm sure. They see "weakness" whenever unpopular protests are not immediately shut down by force.

There is a double problem here though.

1) The protestors have a 1st Amendment right to free speech. Hard to shut them down without shutting that down.

2) On college campuses, academic freedom also comes into play. College leaders who don't respect that won't be around long.

There is precedent for use of extreme force. E.g., May, 4, 1970, Ohio Gov. Rhodes, a strong leader, called in the nation guard to quell demonstrations at
Kent State. And the soldiers who illegally fired into the students killing 4 (2 merely on their way to class) and wounding 9 others were acquitted. So it can definitely be done.

[Image: Kent_State_massacre.jpg][Image: 150428-kent-state-01.jpg]

Because it is weakness.

Extreme force? I'm not advocating going in shooting.  Good grief.  Peaceful protests that are not disrupting the campus or it's students, fine.  As soon as that changes start arresting/removing people.  This is not complicated.

Again, when did I say peaceful protests should be shut down?

Protestors do not have a right to disrupt college campuses and keep students from the education they are paying for.  Well, the ones not covered by Biden's vote buying anyway.

Academic freedom?  Colleges are practically left wing echo chambers run by left wing activists at this point.

Not seeing any leaders at any of these colleges.  If there were, none of this would be a story as the campuses would have shut down the issues as soon as they became less than peaceful.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing - Mickeypoo - 05-08-2024, 02:38 PM