Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing
(05-09-2024, 05:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's not about me or Luvnit or anyone else you want to name check.
It was called clarifying.  You jumped to a conclusion and Dill defended his point and made sure to be clear.
That you won't admit it, and continue to bring it up, is on you not him.

What was interesting about that exchange was the trigger, namely Mickey's story about his
son learning that Vietnam protestors were protesting soldiers as opposed to LBJ, Nixon, and the Pentagon.

I.e., the "myth" that many or most vets were spit on or otherwise attacked by protestors when they arrived
back in the US.  To requote one of my statements on the issue:

No one is willing to say "no soldier was ever spit on." 
The interest for me is just how the notion took off decades after the war to become, for younger generations, a stereotypical but false image from that period in U.S. history.
Many vets claim it was the government which forgot them, and have claimed that since the war, 
so from a certain ideological position it becomes very useful to deflect that critique onto people who rightly protested the war.
THEY (protestors) mistreated soldiers. etc. While true patriots supported the troops--and, of course, the government's policies.

This lines up with the recent history of masses of Americans convinced that the Russia investigation was "fake" and the 2020 election was "rigged." 

Except historical revision of events which used to take decades now occurs in a few months.

Now right wing "memory" of the Vietnam War protests--which placed responsibility for the debacle on government/Pentagon lies--returns to define a new generation of protestors as infantile and lacking the facts, etc. and in dire need of violent comeuppance. As in '68, a "strong" authoritarian president, willing to bend democracy to his will, is waiting in the wings to restore order. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing - Dill - 05-11-2024, 08:53 AM