Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the Bengals doing at Defensive Tackle?
(05-15-2024, 11:52 AM)phil413 Wrote: It's a good question and I wondered the same thing about Hill.  I don't know if the plan is clear cut and it may be as Synric said below that they don't go with a traditional nose which is a gamble.  

It's been the most interesting position group to see develop this offseason.  We knew Reader could leave and since the market didn't have anything close to a replacement they really went with BPA move with Rankins and deemed it better to risk relying on rookies than pay the cost for a vet.  They were desperate enough to kick the tires on a known character issue in Tart, and I doubt the trade market had much since there is a lack of descent backup NTs in the league.

So, I think they just understood that there isn't anything close to a Reader replacement of a true NT.  If they can put up points and Kenkins provides any sort of push in the rotation this could be good.  But if BJ struggles with more double teams and smart coordinated lines like Cleveland take advantage then it could be a mistake.  

Lastly, this is why I'm going to harp on the value of the trade deadline this year.  I know we don't historically utilize it much, and you shouldn't bank on it but you have to explore it.  Win now doesn't mean trading all your high picks, but with the deadline moved back more teams will have to face that they're sellers.  You could get a descent NT for a mid round pick possibly.

We'll also have a good feel for how Hill (if more of a NT), Jenkins, and Jackson are doing. 

In terms of run defense, Hill for Reader is a big downgrade, as is Rankins for Hill. 

I'd assume Jenkins for Carter will be an upgrade, as will Jackson for Tupou. But those are rooks. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are the Bengals doing at Defensive Tackle? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-15-2024, 03:05 PM