Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Force Awakens spoiler thread
(01-09-2016, 09:29 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: That is another thing, too, hyperdrive is not just light speed. It is a combination of light speed and the entrance of hyperspace. This allows ships to travel much faster than light. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdrive/Legends

I don't think most people understand that about the technology of the Star Wars universe.

No, it isn't that we don't understand it.

Think about this...

The OT came out and there was no talk about how long the trip would take.  So it was assumed that Obi Wan spent the time he was traveling to Alderaan training Luke and giving him a crash course in the ways of the force.  Luke was given an overview of how it works and while incomplete, which with the suspension of belief, was enough to plausibly explain him forgoing the screens of his ship and trusting his instincts, albeit with a little encouragement from beyond the grave Obi Wan, and making what would be considered an impossible shot.

Now with Rey, she has no such time with a force user, and she is already skilled enough to perform all of these feats.  When someone like me points this out, I am met with the stupid response "you didn't have a problem with Luke not being trained".  So now I have to explain why that argument isn't valid, since I was already under the premise that Luke had about 1 week (at least) on the Falcon getting some instruction.

The prequels came after the fact.  The prequels are already established as being bad and one of the things that made them so bad was the outrageousness of the technology used.  I mean, Anakin built C3PO and R2 was present through to whole thing, how come they didn't know who Leia was, how come they didn't recognize the name Skywalker and maybe tell Luke that Vader is his father.  Then add to the extra quick space travel and you now have a recipe for a flop.  The suspension of belief wasn't enough to make the movie work.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Force Awakens spoiler thread - J24 - 12-19-2015, 03:29 AM
RE: The Force Awakens spoiler thread - Sovereign Nation - 01-09-2016, 10:23 AM