Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep Burfict, lose Lewis
(01-11-2016, 12:17 PM)Benton Wrote: I've been pretty reserved since the loss, but there's a few thoughts I can't get out of my get.

1- Vontaze Burfict should get a lifetime contract. When the team needed someone to change the course of play, he did it. Multiple times. And when we needed someone to step up and make a play, he did it. His interception late won us the game. All we had to do was hold onto the ball.

Did he have a questionable hit? Yes. Should he have done it? No. Was it deserved? Sort of.

The Steelers played like the Steelers. They're dirty. Burfict got dirty in response. The Steelers got lucky, their dirty hit came as the runner was turning (unable to see Shazier) but his feet were moving — legal hit. Burfict came back with a dirty hit of his own. Did Brown deserve it?  No. But until the refs put on helmets, you can't hit the guys who do.

2- Fire Marvin, he goes in the wrong direction.

Every off season I say the same thing. Fire Marvin.

Yes, I know. He's turned the team around. And he's a swell guy. And all that. But... fire Marvin. He can not win the big games. He bears the ultimate blame for it.

Three different OC's, one head and three different QBs. Outside of the first round loss and the head coach, can anyone guess a common thread in our ineptitude?

The number 40. Andy Dalton has played in four playoff games, attempting 42 throws in his first, 51 in his third and 30 and 35 in the other two. Most of us give a pass on last year — AD was the only player healthy and those 35 attempts were to guys off the bench. And it's pretty close to 40 attempts. Jon Kitna had 40 attempts back in 2005. And Saturday, AJ had 41 attempts.

With a game in the rain, with a young QB, with a decent running game on the bench... we threw it. Pretty much the same thing in all of Marvin's playoff losses (except the rain). We throw it.

I know. Marvin doesn't call the plays. But don't be deluded. Head coaches set the foundation for how things are supposed to go. If Marvin didn't want us being pass happy in the playoffs, we wouldn't be.

3- Fire Marvin, he can't control the players.

I'm not talking about Burfict, either. The first point when I realized it was going to be a bad night was when Peko was penalized for a play he wasn't involved in. We had the stop. All we had to do was be patient, get the ball back and move on. But Peko went onto the field and shoved a Steeler. It was ridiculous.

And it was Marvin's fault. He can't control his players, he can't get into them the importance of every thing the do.

It's a disappointing end to an outstanding season. Hopefully, the next one will be even better.

Except he led with the crown of his helmet outside of the tackle box.....so, illegal hit.  If that hit was legal, then so was Shawn Williams'.....Bryant took two steps.

As for the rest, spot on.  I'd also add, where the hell was Jake Fisher?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Keep Burfict, lose Lewis - Benton - 01-11-2016, 12:17 PM
RE: Keep Burfict, lose Lewis - Benton - 01-11-2016, 12:35 PM
RE: Keep Burfict, lose Lewis - jj22 - 01-11-2016, 12:25 PM
RE: Keep Burfict, lose Lewis - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-11-2016, 12:40 PM
RE: Keep Burfict, lose Lewis - Benton - 01-11-2016, 01:49 PM