Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN calls Dallas Gunman Courageous and Brave
(06-13-2015, 08:42 PM)Stewy Wrote: Ah how i long for the days of ugly news people who were smart and savy.  All you need to be on the news is good looking these days.

If you are indeed old enough to remember this I really need to know, how old are you?

I was discussing the song by Don Henley called "Dirty Laundry", which explicitly states, "I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear", with a few people some time ago.  One of the people involved in the conversation commented that the late 70's began the whole sensationalist approach to news which is why that song was so relevant at that time (early 80's).

One of the impressive history buffs involved in the conversation pointed out TV just picked up what already existed in print media when TV journalists first began.  He used a phrase called "yellow journalism".  If I recall correct it began somewhere around the beginning of the 1900's or late 1800's and one of the people involved in the change to less respectable journalism was the namesake of the Pulitzer Prize (yeah, from the beginning of that prize it was as as much fluff as the Nobel has become).

My personal belief is it goes in cycles.  The sensationalist approach gains steam, people get sick of it and the media (either print of TV) adapts but the yellow journalism soon resurfaces.  I've been waiting so long now for people to want real news again I have begun to question that theory.

Messages In This Thread
RE: CNN calls Dallas Gunman Courageous and Brave - Penn - 06-14-2015, 12:22 AM