Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarthy 'fed up' w/ Packers FA approach
(02-01-2016, 06:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nate Clements was 32 when the Bengals gave him 2yr/$10.5m in 2011, and the cap was roughly $120m that year. It's expected to be roughly $154m in 2016. So cap %-wise, that would be the same as a 2yr/$13.475m deal today. He was 7 years removed from his last Pro Bowl, and had never been an All-Pro.

So I honestly don't think I am overestimating Adam Jones on this. The cap has escalated so quickly (~$34m in 4 years) that it needs to be taken into account. Also, while he is a year older, he also is coming off the two best football years of his career, both as a returner and a cornerback with an All-Pro and a Pro Bowl under his belt.

Andre Johnson was 33 when he signed a contract for 3 years/21 million with the Colts last year. I guess that would be a more recent similar comparison, but Johnson is squeaky clean and Adam is well...Pacman. Plus WR's usually command more in FA than CBs.

Honestly we just went through this 3 years ago. Adam was a FA and generated no interest on the open market. That's why we were able to bring him back for peanuts (3 years/5.3 million, signed on March 21st). Sure Adam has solidified his status as a good starting option since then, but he's also 3 years older and has fresh on field incidents that were very public. Plus it's not like he was a scrub in 2012. Many considered him our top CB even then, and he had a great season returning punts.

I don't think we get him for 3/5 again, but I don't see 3/21 either. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see next month.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: McCarthy 'fed up' w/ Packers FA approach - Shake n Blake - 02-02-2016, 01:33 AM