Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin Shkreli pleads the Fifth, then tweets about 'imbeciles' in Congress
(02-05-2016, 11:05 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: At first I was going to disagree with your analogy, but the more I thought about it the more I agree. Being in favor of the free market does not mean you are in favor of the immoral/unethical decisions made within it. In both the case of abortion and a free market the ideal is to have no regulations because they would be unnecessary. People would make the moral/ethical choices.

It's interesting to think how something similar in some ways has different approaches taken from different sides. I think the interesting thing is that most people would take a very moderate stance on the details in both situations if we could only move past the rhetoric and have productive conversations.

We're getting OT here (or maybe not), but the nature of capitalism is there's never going to be an ethical line.

In Shkreli's case, people are pissed because he upped a necessary drug price to where it most likely effected those who took it, and possibly prevented them from taking it. Where's the outrage over SAT/ACT prep course markup (2,000-4000%) that could make the difference in someone getting a life changing education? What about bypass surgery (1,000%)? Prescription drugs average around 3,000% but nobody bats an eye. Internet service — more and more necessary to education and business — in some areas has a 5,000% markup.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Martin Shkreli pleads the Fifth, then tweets about 'imbeciles' in Congress - Benton - 02-05-2016, 01:59 PM