Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals reportedly "making push" to keep Vincent Rey
(02-16-2016, 08:16 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Cool. Tackle stats. Too many of those are after the catch because he was out of position or ten yards downfield.

The WLB (where he generally plays) is always going to have a lot of tackle stats. Our defense is designed to funnel plays to him. 

Skuta, Landon Johnson...VRey is just another backup getting way too much playing time with inflated numbers. 
He's kinda worth back on a backup level deal. 

But that's what I thought PJ Dawson was for...

If we let either MLJ or Iloka walk but keep him at 5 per....

I value his versatility, but about half the points you're touching on we should at least consider when trying to figure out what he's worth.  All those names and you forgot Caleb Miller, how could you!  I think we were torching that kid for having like 100 tackles way down the field like he was an extra safety or something.  When he's in there at WLB you're right they ask him to clean up.  He does the job well enough to be a fringe starter or solid backup but even with the cap going up I think 5 million is a bit much for a role player, even though he does play so many roles.  He's more of an emergency guy at MLB, maybe Dawson or a mid round guy could lap him as the other Rey's backup.  He does do a solid job in coverage, but a lot of us would rather see them pay a playmaker this much.  I get the logic of continuity and freeing yourself from having to sign or draft a second LB by the mid rounds (hopefully they land one early) but that number just looks like they're bidding against themselves.  I see no harm in offering him 3yr/10-11M and letting him hit the market for a bigger deal.  A jack of all trades is nice to have, but I'm fine with paying two descent LB's half that each. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals reportedly "making push" to keep Vincent Rey - phil413 - 02-17-2016, 05:42 AM