Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Apple opposes gov order to unlock iPhone
(02-17-2016, 02:08 PM)Benton Wrote: I agree with the bold and that's what I disagree with.

On the other hand, I think Apple is full of crap on that. When Steve Jobs resigned (and died a few months later), I would guess the first thing they did was take his work phone, work laptop and all other devices and then dug through them so they can stay afloat for the next decade until somebody else comes up  with a decent idea. If they have that technology (which I think they do) then it becomes debatable as to whether they should use it at the request of law enforcement.

It's like OnStar declining to track a vehicle that's stolen or that has a kidnapping victim. I think they should... until a warrant comes in. At that point, if they have the technology to assist and it isn't overly disruptive to company production, I think they should.

Jobs died in 2011, their new encryption didn't come out until 2014. It's real and they can't break it.....that's kind of the point.

Not quite like OnStar, a person in a car has no reasonable expectation of privacy so it make it a lot easier. All customers who aren't doing illegal activity have an expectation of complete encryption from Apple (which was told to them when they purchased the product) and all of them could in fact sue Apple for providing such a key that could be used by the government post sale.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Apple opposes gov order to unlock iPhone - Au165 - 02-17-2016, 02:15 PM