Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why would anyone would stand up?
(02-24-2016, 03:09 PM)Benton Wrote: My grandparents were all farm folk. I think you and they differ on the treatment of livestock. And, at the time, slaves were livestock. If livestock is sick or unable to work, you put it down and get another one. If livestock doesn't work hard or has bad temperament, you beat it until it does work or takes commands.

I think you're looking at it with the logic of someone in the 21st century talking about pros/cons of owning another person. But pre-20th century attitudes toward livestock don't fit into that same logic.

So, I'll say the same. If you're in favor of slavery, send me your mom, wife and any daughters. My farm is used for hunting not farming, so I don't need manual labor, but the ladies will be taken care of.

Debatable.

Not every slave owner looked at their slaves as livestock.  To some they were human and even some were treated like an extension of their family.

Did you have the ones that had the mindset of your grandparents?  Sure.  However you can't think that they were all thought of or treated that way.

Some slave owners, bought slaves, had them work for them and then freed them, along the lines of indentured servitude.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why would anyone would stand up? - McC - 02-25-2016, 06:29 PM
RE: Why would anyone would stand up? - Sovereign Nation - 02-24-2016, 05:18 PM