Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trump is slated to take witness stand in fraud trial
(02-27-2016, 05:56 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I also had hopes for the Tea Party when they were mainly about runaway govt spending, then the bible thumpers hijacked the party...or maybe politicians like Rubio and Cruz saw the opportunity to bring both coalitions together as a winning strategy (at least in the South for Republican races...doubt it's a winner in a general election).  I thought the Tea Party might be a springboard for Rand Paul leading the emergence of a Libertarian Party as a viable 3rd option.

I don't think I'd call Trump a Tea Party candidate - he seems to have picked off large chunks of various voting blocs.  He's not trying to build a base capturing an entire coalition, but appears to be targeting single-issue voters across different coalitions.  Like he doesn't care about people for whom guns is one of several key issues, only people for whom guns is the ONLY issue.

I had high hopes for Paul and a few of the others. But they switched from real conservatism and reformation and individual rights to pandering to the moral majority like Cruz and the others. So we're right back where we started — politicians who care less about individual rights and fixing spending, and more about personal issues like abortion and gay marriage. That's not conservatism, it's secular government.

And that's an interesting thing about Trump. And a very good point. I just wonder if that makes him more appealing to the people who don't share the same views, or less.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump is slated to take witness stand in fraud trial - Benton - 02-27-2016, 11:25 PM