Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City in Virginia cracking down on swearing
(06-20-2015, 03:40 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Have you ever seen me swear on these boards?  Or make any personal attacks towards anyone?

You know why you haven't seen that..... Because I have proper manners.

If this isn't TommC I don't know who is...

Anyway:  When I worked in radio I never swore in my "off the air" conversations.  1) Because I rarely swore anyway before that and 2) because the habit of NOT swearing deliberately for 5 hours a day kind of makes it stick with you.

Flash-forward and the business I work in now has people who drop the F bomb like its the word "and".  90% do it.  From the lowest laborer to the highest manager / owner.  And I have adapted it also.  Curse words can be effective...they can get a point across quickly...and they can make haughty people with "proper manners" turn red and get angry a lot faster.

I was in my 30's before I said a curse word in front of my parents.  I was almost 40 when I found out my mother (who does swear) dropped the f bomb herself...frequently.  My father rarely curses and I have never heard more than a damn or s.o.b. from him.

I taught both my children that there are "adult" words that they can use if they want when they are adults.  I caught my daughter once when she was about 13-14 cursing in an email.  We talked about it and she stopped.  A couple years later we had another conversation about it.  I told that her mother and I are not stupid.  We know she swears but she should refrain from doing it in front of us conversationally.  It is meant for specific situations.  She respected that.

All that said...words are words.  Someone already brought up George Carlin...this is the part of the "7 dirty words(" bit that always stuck with me:
[Image: Quotation-George-Carlin-philosophy-humor...125570.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: City in Virginia cracking down on swearing - GMDino - 06-20-2015, 09:59 AM