Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are so many players being overpaid??
I've been seeing this question alot. What dictates overpaid? Overpaid in comparison to what? Contracts signed last year under a smaller salary cap?

People are paid based on one of two things: market dictation or perceived value by the signing team.

Most of the signings have fallen under the second heading.

I equate it to this: recently my wife and I moved. We paid about $400 for people to move our stuff for us. We could comfortably afford that. We have friends who could not comfortably afford that, so they move themselves. They could say we overpaid for the service, but we were comfortable for the price point and the service rendered. Doesn't make us or them right or wrong.

Same thing with teams. We are sitting with $15 million in space, and we think that these contracts are outrageous, but teams like Jacksonville and Oakland and the Giants have upwards of $60-70-80-90 million to spend. They can afford these contracts (for now) and are comfortable paying it to get the player they want, then they didn't "overpay". This also goes for the "reach/overdraft" come draft time as well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are so many players being overpaid?? - YoungThundercat - 03-10-2016, 12:06 AM