Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KY Bill allowing Bible literacy classes in public schools
(03-15-2016, 03:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty sure it was to discuss using the bible as a teaching tool in schools.

But as to the current discussion I offer this:

As to why matt ask, you'll have to ask him, as I have found this thread to be refreshingly free of personal insults. Given there are a few, but they are cleverly veiled and not of the overt variety

The concept of our country being founded on religious principles was introduced fairly early and became a central talking point in this discussion. It was pretty good, but as Matt pointed out, the facts were a bit wrong. That's fine, but the last page and a half then became a snarky pissing match without any intelligent thought. 

Certainly better than some threads, but this one had some good potential. 

As for your comments, I get where you're coming from, but I reject it idea that they are not religiously neutral terms. Jefferson himself was a fairly religiously neutral man. While he a lot from Locke, who was influenced by Calvinism and enlightenment interpretations of faith, he still adapted it into his own thought. Some want to label him deist, some just call his beliefs highly unorthodox, but it's safe to say that he viewed Jesus as merely a man and religion as something that can be developed by the individual apart from conventional Christian thought. 

If we were to make a list of the founding principles of the United States, would they mirror Christianity or Enlightenment thought?Sure, the  majority of these men were baptized Christian, but did that have the influence in our foundation that many make it out to have had?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: KY Bill allowing Bible literacy classes in public schools - BmorePat87 - 03-15-2016, 04:05 PM