Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Brandon LaFell has reached agreement w/ Bengals
(03-31-2016, 02:53 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I've got mixed feelings on this one.  

Given who was left, the little amount he most likely costs, and how much I think both Marvin Jones and Sanu got overpaid, I don't really have a problem with the signing.  I mean, I would rather pay Lafell whatever we're paying than pay Jones 8 mil per or Sanu 7 mil per, or whatever.  So in that respect, I think it worked out ok.

But, with all that said, I'm not terribly excited, nor optimistic that Lafell will be a great contributor.  I actually see him, as far as worth or value, and not necessarily skill set, very similar to Jerome Simpson.  He's a veteran, who has some talent, who can provide some depth, but is nowhere near a ideal #2.   He's just a guy.  A middling talent, who when given reps, will give your somewhere around 700 yards. And that's ok enough I suppose.  The world of NFL #2's needs their Lafell's and Rueben Randle's.

But here's how I see Lafell, for those who are curious as to why I'm not doing cartwheels:

Carolina was BEGGING for production after Steve Smith left.  He never came anywhere close to delivering, which is why they drafted Benjamin.  

And New England, good God did they need help the year he posted 900 yards.  Gronk missed significant time, Wes Welker just left, the newly acquired Amendola missed half the year, they were left playing a bunch of nobodies.  BEGGING for any vet to catch balls FROM TOM FREAKING BRADY.  So I kinda think that production was a tad of a fluke.  And last year pft.  Terrible performance.  Injured or no, the drops are concerning.

So do I love the signing?  No.  Do I think he's better or even as good as Marvin Jones?  No. (I would say he's similar to Sanu though)  Would I have rather have had Mike Wallace?  Definitely.  But it still makes sense I guess.  I just hope they look to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.  Because there's no doubt we need more depth.

Yeah... ~700 yards just like Marvin Jones... oh wait.

LaFell also left the same year as Steve Smith, so I don't see your point about Carolina was begging him to produce. In fact the year Carolina drafted Benjamin LaFell had almost 1k yards and 7 TDs.

Last year almost every single drop LaFell had came from the game he came back from injury. He had 2 drops the year before. LaFell doesn't have bad hands. Gronk played 15 games that year, and Amendola didn't miss a game, and he still got almost 1k yards and 7 TDs. I don't know where you're getting that they were hurt most of the season.

LaFell was a great signing, and is a solid replacement for Marvin Jones. He's just as good as Jones PLUS he's more durable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brandon LaFell has reached agreement w/ Bengals - Brownshoe - 03-31-2016, 06:03 AM