Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Brandon LaFell has reached agreement w/ Bengals
(03-31-2016, 03:32 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Then explain his market value. 

Did he just sign a 1 year deal here, for most likely less than 1/4 of what Marvin Jones sees per year, simply because he's a nice guy or was feeling generous?  If he was as good, then explain it to me.  

Like I said, I have no problem with that signing.  And I would rather pay him less, than pay Jones or Sanu more.  I even compared Lafell's talent level to that of Sanu's.  But here is a reason his market was nowhere near Marvin Jones'.  It's because he's not as good.

Legit #2 receivers, top half of the league #2's, don't sign 1 year deals for under 3 mil, at the age of 29.  He's a serviceable, that is really joining a team to compete to be the third option.  Green and Eifert are options  and 2. 

I really don't understand why some of you get so defensive about such obvious statements.  Like that Weezy dude who seems to have a hard-on for busting my balls about every single thing.   "Pretty much everything said here is bs."  No it's not.  Brandon Lafell is not that good.  And that's ok.  Deal with it.

No reason to get all bent out of shape about someone saying they're not super excited about a signing that no other team would get super excited about.  He provides some depth and he's crazy cheap.  He's ok.  Nowhere near an ideal 2, but we really don't need one. 

I would say MLJ and Sanu got paid more because they're viewed as young players on the rise, whereas LaFell is coming up on 30 and coming back from a disappointing season and injury. Is LaFell a little riskier? Sure. Is he someone that can stick around for 5 more years? Probably not. And that's why there's so much difference in pay. It's not so much that MLJ and Sanu have been much better on the field.

I do agree with your next post. LaFell is most likely the one who pushed for a 1 year deal, as he's trying to reestablish his value after a bad season. That kind of proves what I'm saying though. LaFell's value was down after the season he just had.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brandon LaFell has reached agreement w/ Bengals - Shake n Blake - 03-31-2016, 04:33 PM