Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local News anchor fired for Facebook Comments
(04-01-2016, 07:57 AM)6andcounting Wrote: It was the attackers who she said came from broken homes, not the busboy. And it's not necessarily a stereotype of his race. The workers to these restaurants are from the poor neighborhoods that surround the some strip of revitalization. Now, she didn't make that clear either way, but in part could have been because the Pittsburghers she was talking to would have understood the poverty and youth unemploy that area is known for.

While I agree with her overall message, this part you were referring to probably takes away from that point because it is somewhat open to interpretation. I'm not trying to defend her or her words as much as I'm trying to give my perspective which has a less cynical take on her intent. I still can't say WTEA was flat out wrong for what they did, but I don't think she is racist.

Her statement wasn't racist, but as a news person, she can't say that.

A friend of mine is a judge. We were talking one time and he chided me a bit for my coverage of a murder trial. Basically, he was going to have to move it to another county because my stories had tainted the jury pool. When the jurors were asked by one (or both for all I know) of the attorneys if they knew anything about the murder, almost all of them said they knew what they'd read in the paper.

This anchor said the killers are young black men with multiple fathers. Whether they are or not, it already alters public perception. Everyone who follows her social media and everyone they talk to are potentially skewed toward having that mental picture. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Local News anchor fired for Facebook Comments - Benton - 04-01-2016, 11:10 AM