Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confederate Flag Misunderstood?
(06-24-2015, 05:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You say this, but there are efforts in places to sanitize the Confederate history. I see news reports about it in some of the more liberal cities in my state. Getting rid of monuments to the soldiers from the war and the like.

I'm waiting for them to make that attempt at VMI. It's a state institution steeped in Confederate history. Was known as the West Point of the south. Their cadets marched the roughly 80 miles to fight in a battle here in the valley and the cadets make that march yearly in commemoration of it all. But it's a state school. It will be interesting to see how that all plays out as we move on.

I'm not part of any of those efforts. I'm not a part of any effort to remove any flags although I disagree with their display. The only thing I am involved in is a conversation in which some (not all) refuse to admit the significance of that flag. I recognize for some they wish to honor their fallen soldiers. I would hope those people would recognize how that flag has been misused by hate groups and what it represents to those hate groups (the shooter) as well as what it also represents to the people they hate (the shooter's victims.) I think the monuments can honor the dead without the sumbol of hatred.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Confederate Flag Misunderstood? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 06-24-2015, 06:28 PM